Global Day of Action to Climate and Employment Proof our Work
These are difficult times for many workers as the Covid-19 pandemic disrupts lives and livelihoods. Many of us have seen changes to our workplaces and our daily routines and are facing a convergence of crises – a pandemic with no known end date, the devastation of inequality and climate devastation with extreme weather events and changing seasons.
We know that the health, social and economic consequences of Covid-19 will require new levels of care, of social protection and of economic stimulus in all countries. It will take a new social contract. We’re in a race against time to control the pandemic, which knows no borders. And we’re in a race against time to respond to climate change, which left unchecked threatens everyone and will leave whole regions uninhabitable. Extreme weather events with lasting devastation are already destroying jobs and livelihoods.
As well as ambitious government action including Just Transition measures to protect workers, their families and their communities, every employer must have a plan for climate- and employment-proofing their operations, and Just Transition measures must be at the heart of such plans. Workers and their unions must be part of the dialogue that shapes our future to ensure that the Just Transition measures agreed are adequate to build people’s trust in a process that they understand is urgent.
- Sign up to get updates about the ITUC Global Day of Action.
- Download the Global Day of Action campaign pack for all the information and tools on this campaign.
- Ask to talk to your employer, a local business or someone from your local or national government on 24 June. Let us know if you ask for a meeting, and we will keep a tally of all places around the world taking part in the Global Day of Action. Your meeting can be in person or online.
- Spread the word among friends and colleagues and ask your union to support the day of action.
- Send email@example.com a photo of your in person or virtual meeting and the highlights of what was discussed.
The CEPOW Global Day of Action is about starting a conversation. All workers have a right to know what the plans are to climate-proof our jobs and work. It doesn’t matter if you work in the public sector or private sector or are self-employed or on a contract – we all have a say in our future.
You can ask the company CEO, your manager, or even start the conversation with your colleagues and fellow workers, local businesses that you support, or local and national government representatives. Give as much notice as possible so that the meeting can take place in person – or virtually – on or around the 24th of June.